Tuesday, May 28, 2024

New Beds and Natives

Three years ago a friend invited me to a group on FB about environmentally friendly gardening in Maryland. I began learning about the importance of natives and how they are the best to feed native species. The plants, soil, animals and insects lived largely unaltered adapting well to each other for thousands of years until humans started "playing God".

I've read the book 'Founding Gardeners'. I love it. It's a really fascinating and fantastic read. These guys' commitment to nature was beautiful, but trying to replicate European gardens when you're not in Europe isn't the greatest plan. We're still reaping the ever-increasing consequences of non-natives decimating natives. (Here's looking at you, English Ivy 😑)

Someone recently shared that they get so frustrated when people say "Oh look at all the pollinators on these flowers, they must be good!"
That's like saying, "Oh look at all the cars around Mc-a-Dee's - it must be good for you!"

There just isn't as much nutrients in most of the plants at nurseries which have been played with to make longer blooms, more desirable attractiveness, etc.

So I began oh-so-slowly to buy a few natives.
And got some from my friend who started me on this journey.

But I think one of the biggest changes has been re-thinking beauty.

This is beautiful:


It really is. I absolutely LOVE color! I went overboard on annuals last year because I was hosting a luau and wanted fun, brightness!

But those are largely all cotton candy for pollinators.

What else is beautiful?
I've come to see that this is:


Sure, you might think it looks messy and it kind of is - I'm working on it! So let me share some of the gardens from folks in the group I mentioned above:




Snapdragons are decidedly not native, but
I didn't know they're perennial when I
planted them years ago 🙊
Absolutely beautiful! 

I've found that learning more about what's actually helpful instead of just what I've been conditioned to see as beautiful in "what a yard should look like" has truly changed how I see beauty in plants.

Just letting things go a bit more "wild" has already made our yard explode with butterflies and birds. Last year we saw our first ever Carolina mantis egg sac (though they never hatched...alas. Still - all I'd seen before were the invasive ones!) And this year we're seeing a ton of 9-spotted ladybugs, which were introduced from Europe, but at least have been around decades longer than Asian ones that have taken over of late.

I don't want to be a psycho about this. I personally have a hard time thinking that over the hundreds of years since Europeans introduced new plants, pollinators haven't adapted to them...?
But I do want to be a good caretaker of this tiny piece of land I've been entrusted with, so I'm tryin'!



Where we took the trees down, I wanted to take advantage of this now-open space and create new beds, especially since I had a ridiculous amount of mulch to keep too much stuff taking over while I planned and obtained plants to fill what has become a significant square footage!

Huge empty areas after the trees were removed


Brand new enormous bed! Gosh I hate removing sod 😩

In the fall I bought a few natives to fill in (which I didn't take good close pictures of 🙄)...

Giant coneflower / brown-eyed susans, Tickseed, Creeping Phlox, Yarrow (which I ended up planting in a giant pot in the front), and a new favorite: Blue False Indigo - sooo pretty!


This spring I'm very excited that I got some new natives from a fellow gardener in the group! I put them right to work, starting in my "new" wildflower bed (refer to  last year's jungle  to remember this history of this little bed)...


Sure, sure, I know it looks sparse now, but you plant for the size plants will become, NOT like developers do and smoosh it in for current curb appeal leaving homeowners cursing and ripping out trees and shrubs planted 3' from their foundation 5 years later 😑 (I clearly don't have strong feelings on this 😑😑)
Some of these plants are decently eager spreaders (hence putting them here and NOT along our neighbor's fences!), so I'm sure by next year and especially the year after it'll be spectacular!
I got Golden Alexander, Lyreleaf sage, Cutleaf coneflower, Aromatic aster, Pussytoes, and I'm quite excited about a few St. Johns Wort shrubs she shared as they seem to be great in multiple conditions, are pretty, and remain a decent size.

But the crowning glory is finally having my first packera aurea! Golden ragwort!

For some reason, it's a featured plant in my gardening group and so I feel so "in" having some now 😄 Mostly I'm excited because this and a few others are May bloomers, which has historically been my bloom-less time (and also when half my friends have birthdays, so no fresh garden bouquets for you 😞)

Several of those plants are the preferred host for pollinators to lay their eggs on. Within 2 days of planting, an American Lady butterfly was checking out the pussytoes!


So yay! We're well on the journey now!

Next up, take a peek at my psychotic, slightly spontaneous huge rain garden addition!


No comments:

Post a Comment